March 26, 2021 - The Comal ISD Council of PTAs hosted its Fourth Annual PTA Founders’ Day celebration virtually Wednesday with awards and performances. Administrators, teachers, volunteers and students from across the district were invited to watch the festivities which paid tribute to the founding of the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA) 124 years ago.
This year’s celebration showcased students from Davenport High School which hosted the event with junior Sofia Stojanovski serving as the master of ceremonies. Student performances included the DHS jazz band, orchestra and theatre performing a portion of its one-act play, “A Matter of Life and Death.” Jasmati Evans, a junior, sang the national anthem and the DHS JROTC posted the colors.
Superintendent Andrew Kim, DHS Principal Matthew DeLoach and Comal ISD Board of Trustees President David Drastata welcomed and thanked this year’s honorees as well as PTA volunteers.
“I look forward to Founders’ Day every year,” said Mr. Kim, “because it is a hallmark day for us to celebrate the partnership we have with our PTA volunteers. This partnership is strong, and as a result of that, we are able to stand up and do the things we need to do to support our students.”
This year’s Comal ISD Council of PTA Awards were given in the following categories: Principal of the Year for both elementary and secondary, Assistant Principal of the Year for both elementary and secondary, Student Leader of the Year, Volunteer of the Year for both elementary and secondary, the PTA Endeavor award and the Founder’s Day award.
Nominations for these awards were provided by campus PTA members with the following individuals honored.
- Principal of the Year - Kim Lyssy-O’Bryant from Timberwood Park Elementary
- Assistant Principal of the Year - Kellie Williams from Bill Brown Elementary
- Volunteer of the Year - Nichole Keith from Rahe Bulverde Elementary PTA
- Principal of the Year - Julie Cronkhite from Danville Middle
- Assistant Principal of the Year - Aryn Standeford from Smithson Valley Middle
- Volunteer of the Year - Jessica Rudewick from Danville Middle School PTA
- Principal of the Year - Matthew DeLoach from Davenport High
- Assistant Principal of the Year - Sy Douglass from Smithson Valley High
- Volunteer of the Year - Fern VanSickle from Smithson Valley High School PTA
- Community Partner Award - Elizabeth Joost with Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union
- Endeaver Award - Clear Spring Elementary PTA
- Founders' Day Award - Shirley Koop, former Council President
- Texas PTA Honorary Lifetime Membership Award - Alli Vela from Goodwin Frazier Elementary PTA
- Student Award - Brady Bueker, a freshman at Hill Country College Preparatory High
This event was organized by this year’s Founders’ Day Chair Tracey Molina along with members of the Council of PTAs executive board including President Ashley Hime, Vice President of Membership Jessica McAnelly, Parliamentarian Shirley Koop and Awards and Recognition Chair Jessica Rudewick. Learn more about the Council here.
-The Comal ISD Council of PTAs hosted a watch party for its Fourth Annual PTA Founders’ Day awards celebration Wednesday, March 23. Attendees from left included Comal ISD Board Trustee Michelle Ross, Council President Ashley Hime, Founders’ Day Chair Tracey Molina and Board Trustee Tim Hennessee.